Saturday 31 August 2013

Book Review: The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan

Synopsis:
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.
Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.
   
My Review

So this was a re-read for me. I read The Lightning Thief a fews years ago and just never got around the reading the rest of the series, and I was in the mood to start reading the series again. So I decide that I would re-read The Lightning Thief before I started Sea of Monsters. And it was just as amazing as the first time I read it, the writing style that Rick Riordan has is marvellous  he knows how to pull someone into the story and not let them go to the very last page, then make then want more and more. The one thing i liked about this book was that it is not bases around love, even if there was a little hit of a crush *talking to you here Percy*  I love how we are brought into this world. I also like that it is from Percy Perspective getting into a 12 year old's is not something you do everyday. I loved loved loved camp half blood, wish I was the daughter of a God. I love Mythology, and Greek Mythology with a passion, so this book was just my cup of tea. I love hearing about all the Gods and Myths and just everything. The Characterisation for a first book in a series was really good. Percy  development so much from the first couple of chapters to the last few of the book. Annabeth, I just love her, she has her defences up yet she has this little bit of vulnerability to her. Grover is the person everyone wants as her best friend. I loved all the little 'battle' scenes. I just loved pretty much everything about it. I like the idea that Rick Riordan to mix Ancient Greek ways of living in honouring the Gods into the modern world. That these Gods are real and they have children in the modern world, that have to be kept in hiding to keep safe, and to train, to be great hero. Well of this is not a great idea, don't know what is. I just love the God especially Athena. I have always been a fan of Athena, I just think she is pretty amazing Goddess. So being able to read about her in the way Rich Riordan wrote her was pretty epic. I also like how the other Gods were presented. I liked how all different Mythological 
Creatures were mentioned. I loved the story line and the concepts that the Lightning Thief came with.

Overall I would give it a 5 stars out of 5. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment